To Find Answers To Most Questions
- Pet Health Care Library (Veterinary Partners)
This site supports Clark Animal Care by providing reliable, up-to-date animal health information from the veterinarians and experts of the Veterinary Information Network (VIN), the world’s first and largest online veterinary database and community.
- FDA Food and Treat Recall List
The information contained in this website involves recalls and alerts issued regarding pet and animal feeds, including dog and cat foods and treats as well feeds for livestock, poultry and other species. The information is based on reports and alerts received from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or the manufacturers.
- ASPCA Poison Control Center
Includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center. Also a list of everyday household poisons and hazards that may be harmful to your pet.
- Plants Toxic to Animals
A lot of information about toxic plants can be found here. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant. IMPORTANT: Just because it is absent from the list doesn’t mean it is safe!
- Drug Sensitivities in Herding Breeds
Certain herding breeds and other breeds of dogs may be susceptible to adverse reactions to medications due to a genetic defect.
- Animal Emergency Services
Find information here for the local 24-hour emergency care facility.
- American Animal Hospital Association
“Healthy Practices, Healthier Pets” is the ultimate goal of the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA).
- American Veterinary Medical Association
This site provides the most current information in Animal Health, Public Health, Scientific Literature and Careers in Veterinary Medicine.
- American Board of Veterinary Practitioners
The American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (ABVP) seeks to promote the highest of standards in contemporary veterinary clinical practice.
- American Association of Feline Practitioners
The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health.
- Morris Animal Foundation
The Morris Animal Foundation funds studies in animal health and then disseminates the information.
Disease Diagnosis and Treatment
- Veterinary Partner
Here to support your veterinarian and you in the care of your companion animals by providing reliable, up-to-date animal health information
- Veterinary Information Network
The most complete, up-to-date data base of veterinary information in the world — and the largest team of specialists dedicated to helping colleagues on-line.
The premier site for pet nutrition advice and homemade diets from veterinary nutritionists.
- Association for Pet Obesity Prevention
This organization is made up of dedicated veterinarians and veterinary healthcare personnel who are committed to making the lives of dogs, cats, all other animals and people healthier and more vital
- NYS Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell University
The center conducts research, educates the veterinary community on emerging diseases and seeks to prevent communicable animal diseases.
- Healthy Pet
This website is sponsored by the American Animal Hospital Association and has an extensive pet care library.
- Orthopedic Foundation of America
The Orthopedic Foundation of America (OFA) is a non-profit organization that collates and disseminates information concerning orthopedic and genetic diseases of animals.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council
The Veterinary Oral Health Council offers a list of products that have been awarded the VOHC seal. These products are strongly recommended by our veterinarians for your pet’s dental health.
Feline Medicine and Behavior
- On-line Videos – Home Care for Cats
Step-by-step general instructions about caring for your cat. There are also clear, easy to understand explanations featuring live-action videos and animated details.
- Cornell Feline Health Center
The Cornell Feline Health Center is devoted to improving the health and well being of cats everywhere.
- Cornell University Cat Watch Newsletter
- Cat Wellness
This website helps to educate cat owners on how to recognize the subtle signs of sickness in a cat.
Thyrocat specializes in treating hyperthyroid cats with radioactive iodine. Talk with your veterinarian about what options may be appropriate for your cat.
- Indoor Pet Initiative
This site was created to enrich the lives of indoor cats and now dogs, as well.
- Healthy for Life
A campaign to educate cat owners about the importance of twice-a-year veterinary exams and recognizing behaviors that relate to feline wellness.
- CATalyst Council
The CATalyst Council is reaching out to all parties to ensure that cats receive the proper care and attention they need and deserve.
Behavior and Training
- American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
The AVSAB is a group of veterinarians who share an interest in understanding, teaching and treating behavior problems in animals.
- The Association of Pet Dog Trainers
- Great Pets
A terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems including feline house soiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem.
- See Spot Think
Dog Training in Rochester, NY. See Spot Think offers a variety of group and individual opportunities for instruction in basic training, tricks, play sessions and problem behaviors.
- Pet Peeves
This site has useful advice and tips for those pesky pet problems from the folks at Lollypop Farm.
When Getting a New Puppy
- Choosing a new puppy
This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy.
- Breeds of Dogs
A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed’s characteristics.
Families, Pets and Parasites
- Companion Animal Parasite Council
The mission of CAPC is to foster animal and human health, while preserving the human-animal bond, through recommendations for the diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control of parasitic infections.
- Monroe County Dog Park information
Use this link to learn more about Monroe County’s Dog Parks, how to register, and where they are located.
- Veterinary Specialists of RochesterThis website is maintained by the local veterinary specialist group. On East Henrietta Rd, across from MCC and just south of the expressway, there are veterinary surgeons, a cardiologist, internist and ophthalmologist offering specialty care for your pet. Click here to learn more about advanced treatment options available for your pet.
- Animal Emergency ServicesFind information here for the local 24-hour emergency care facility. Staff doctors and interns, along with the specialists from the Veterinary Specialists of Rochester, can care for your pet as needed 24 hours a day.
- Cornell University Hospital for Animals
Cornell University Hospital for Animals is one of the finest teaching hospitals in North America. Their mission is to provide leadership in patient care, education, and clinical investigation and scientific innovation.
- Genesee Valley Kennel Club
The purpose of the GVKC is to further the advancement of all breeds of purebred dogs; to protect and advance the interests of all breeds of dogs and encourage sportsmanlike competition at dog shows and performance events.
- The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA)
The Cat Fanciers’ Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
Physical Therapy and Acupuncture
- Theravet Acres Rehabilitation and Fitness
A referral based rehabilitative care practice offering mobile services in addition to care at their facility in Penfield, NY.
Adoption and Rescue
- Lollypop Farm
See this link for information on our largest, privately run Humane Society.
- Pet Pride of New York, Inc
The no-kill humane society for cats only.
- Habitat for Cats Adoption
A local Trap-Neuter-Release organization for feral cats
- Rochester Animal Services
Petfinder is an online, searchable database of animals that need homes. It is also a directory of over 9000 animal shelters and adoption organizations across the US, Canada and Mexico.
Careers in Veterinary Medicine and Technology
- Veterinary Schools in the USA
This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America
- Vet Tech
Guide to Salary, Schools, Training, and Online Programs for veterinary technician students.
Designed for pet owners interested in learning more about their dog or cat’s nutritional needs, and for owners seeking guidance on how best to feed their pet from veterinarians specializing in pet nutrition.
For anyone who wants to create homemade pet food for their healthy adult pet or buy Balance IT® supplements
- Food and Treat Recall Notices
The information in this site contains recalls and alerts issued regarding pet and animal feeds, including dog and cat foods and treats as well feeds for livestock, poultry and other species.
Pet Loss and Grief
- Portrait Urns
This site is devoted to creating pet cremation urns as special as your dog or cat. From classic wooden boxes to their exclusive, elegant Angels, you’ll find a unique collection of animal urns to choose from.
- Pet Loss Hotlines (Grief Counseling)
- 877-474-3310 – ASPCA Pet Loss Hotline – For support dealing with the loss of a pet, including information on meeting the emotional needs of children at the time of a pet’s death.
- 630-325-1600 – Staffed by Chicago VMA veterinarians and staffs.
- 607-253-3932 – Staffed by Cornell University veterinary students.
- 877-394-2273 (CARE) – Staffed by University of Illinois veterinary students and community volunteers.
- 517-432-2696 – Staffed by Michigan State University veterinary students.
- 508-839-7966 – Staffed by Tufts University of veterinary students.
- 540-231-8038 – Staffed by Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine.
- 509-335-5704 – Staffed by Washington State University veterinary students.
- Pet Loss Support Seminar at Lollypop Farm
These seminars are held the second Saturday of each month, from 1 – 3 pm at Lollypop Farm in Fairport. For more information and to register call #223-1333 (ext 251).
- Rush Inter Pet, Inc
Pet cemetery, Cremation, and Funeral Home. To contact them, call 585-533-1685
- Pets at Peace Memorial and Cremation Service, LLC – by Harris Funeral Home
Harris Funeral home offers families individual pet cremations and customized memorial services to help you say goodbye to your pet in a loving and dignified manner.
Pet Supplies, Apparel, and Books
This site is a fabulous source of books and training materials for dogs.
- In The Company of Dogs
This website is the most decadent site available for dog and human apparel, training supplies, indoor dog potty areas, gates, crates, urns and memorials, dog art, etc.
Pet Insurance Information
- Pet Insurance Review
Lists various carriers, plans, options, and reviews for multiple pet insurance companies.